[MALAYSIA] Six Instagrammable Cafés I Visited This Year

10:13 Travel Bunny 0 Comments


Instagrammable cafés are springing up like mushrooms after rain in Klang Valley in recent years. Here are six cafés that I've visited this year which fill the bill of good food plus nice environment.

The cafes below are introduced in chronological order according to the date of my visit.

1) Pokok KL @ MAHSA Avenue

Pokok KL is a café surrounded by greenery at MAHSA Avenue, close to University of Malaya Medical Centre. I visited the café  some time in April this year. To be honest, it is hard to find parking around the premise and the parking fee was quite expensive (RM4 for first hour). The café  has a glass roof, which allows plenty of natural lights in on a sunny day. 

It was a weekday so there wasn't much people around before lunch hour.

I ordered a Nasi Lemak Platter (RM18), a Seafood Aglio Olio Pasta (RM35) and a cup of Cappucino (RM). The food was up to expectation. I like the pasta better as compared to the nasi lemak.

There are some outdoor seats as well at Pokok KL. 

Afterwards I hang out at Kedai KL on level 2 and level 3 at the block besides the Pokok KL. Kedai KL features around 60 shops of local artisans and designers. There are shops selling accessories and clothing, chic cafes, a tattoo parlour, creative workshops and more. I bought something from the shop selling Totoro-themed merchandise.

Pokok KL

Opening hours: 10am - 9pm

2) Aboutyu Cafe @ OUG

Aboutyu Cafe is the café I visited with my best friend. The café is located on the first floor of a row of shops. It has an open balcony overlooking the the playground of Taman Bukit Indah. The café is also selling fighting fish in glass bottles. 

The main dishes are roasted chicken (RM18.90) and pasta. I also ordered a genmaicha cake to share with my friend and a pineapple Kombucha as my drink. I like the roasted chicken which is crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside. Matcha lover such as myself will enjoy the rich and not overly sweet genmaicha cake. Overall, my friend and I had a pretty good time here. 

The only downside would be since it is open air facing a lot of greeneries, there are mosquitoes in the café which can't be helped. If you're prone to attract mosquitoes like myself, spray on some mosquito repellent before dining in.

Aboutyu Cafe

Opening hours: 11.15am - 9pm (weekdays except closed on Tuesday), 11am - 9pm (Sat & Sun)

3) 8c's The Central Kitchen @ Taman Shanghai

8c's The Central Kitchen is hidden in an old corner house in Taman Shanghai, Old Klang Road. Parking can be tricky as it is in a residential area. It is famous for its Nyonya laksa and nasi lemak. The restaurant interior gives off a nostalgic vibe, decorated with wooden or metal chairs and tables that resemble those from a primary school. Customers can choose to dine indoor or outdoor.

My hubby and I both ordered the Nyonya laksa (RM15). The curry laksa was flavorful and not too spicy. The noodle serving is also quite generous and price reasonable. 

8c's The Central Kitchen

Opening hours: 9am - 5pm, closed on Monday

4) Front Room & The Kneady Baker @ Taman Desa

Front Room & The Kneady Baker is a bit tricky to find as it does not has a signboard on the outside. It is located on the first floor directly above Gram baking store. I love the simple and elegant European-styled ambience.

I ordered the Notorious P.I.G. - pork patty and pork bacon burger (right) and Pulled Pork Sliders which has two mini burgers and fries and coleslaw as sides (right). It is not hard to understand why the Notorious P.I.G. is their signature dish once you sink your teeth in. The patty was simply sinful. Personally, I prefer the patty as compared to the sliced pork.

Check out this quirky sign at the counter. So I followed this advice and ordered the blueberry burnt cheese cake, hehe.

Front Room & The Kneady Baker

Opening hours: 9.30am - 5pm, closed on Monday & Tuesday

5) Le Pont Boulangerie @ Old Klang Road

Le Pont Boulangerie is divided to few floors. The ground floor is a café with bakery on the right. The upper floors is the Smoke & Grill Bar which serves Western cuisines. The upper floors were not opened during my visit as it was before noon. 

I ordered a cup of hot chocolate (RM12.50) and a slice of Espresso Brulee (RM15.90) for starters. The hot chocolate was thick with cocoa powder and the cake was really rich in taste. I enjoyed every sip and every bite. You can take paper cup and fill up drinking water besides the counter.

I waited till the kitchen is opened for lunch menu and ordered the Smoked Mussels Pot and a smoked duck breast pasta. I enjoyed the smoked duck breast, it was tender and flavorful. Definitely try their pastries. It is the highlight of my meal.

Le Pont Boulangerie

Opening hours: 9.30am - 10.30pm daily

6) Breakfast Spot KL @ Jalan Sin Chew Kee

If you're looking for a Instagrammable café around Bukit Bintang, Breakfast Spot KL will not disappoint. It is famous for its brunch selection. It is open as early as 8am. Do drop by early if you want to dine in the green glasshouse section, it is quickly filled up. Don't worry, there is also plenty of seats inside the two-storey building.

You can order by scanning the QR code on the table and give your feedback by scanning the QR code on the bottle. 

I ordered a Prawn Aglio Oglio (RM26.80) while my hubby ordered the Beef Steak (RM25). For drinks, I ordered the Summer Mocha (RM15) - a unique blend of mocha with the taste of orange. I love the serving of five big super fresh prawns of my pasta. The Beef Steak was good too, but not as good as the pasta.

Remember to check out the cool murals at the side of the building. Overall, Breakfast Spot KL is a lovely café for brunch.

Breakfast Spot KL

Opening hours: 8am - 6pm daily

You Might Also Like

0 comments: